When you have a senior loved one in-home care, you want the very best for them. From superior services to compassionate caregivers, there is nothing to good for your senior! This should absolutely include making sure they are remaining safe in their own home. The last thing you want is for any accident to happen, like a fall, that results in injury. Fortunately, there are several things you can do to prevent your senior from falling!
- Know Their Risk Factors. Have your senior visit a doctor to assess any conditions such as vision impairment, arthritis, or memory loss that can contribute to falls.
- Help Them Exercise. Getting the right kind of exercise is important! Ask a doctor about exercises to build muscles and amp up endurance.
- Check for Issues with Balance. Sometimes falls happen due to imbalance, which can be caused by disorders of the vestibular system. Ask their doctor about testing out their balance.
- Get a Home Inspection. Did you know you can get a fall-specific home inspection? A professional can come to your senior’s home and make sure it is safe from fall hazards.
- Review Their Medications. Since some prescription drugs and medications can cause side effects, especially when combined, have a doctor review a list of their medications.
- Get Their Vision Checked Regularly. Frequent eye exams and vision tests can help ensure that your senior is seeing clearly, making them less likely to fall by having clarity of their surroundings.
- Give Them Proper Nutrition. Getting the right nutrients contribute to muscle and bone strength!
- Use Walking Aids. If your senior uses a cane or walker, make sure they are using them properly and that it is fitted to them correctly.
- Avoid Distracted Walking. Establish rules, like no walking with a smartphone in hand, to make sure your senior is aware of their surroundings.
- Home Care Services. For greater peace of mind, you can add home care services to your senior’s routine. Caregivers can help make sure your senior is staying safe at home.
Still need further guidance on how to best keep your senior loved one safe? Home Care Assistance of Greater Burlington and the surrounding cities is here for you! Reach out to our caregivers today for your consultation.